Accidents at Home
1. What is the most dangerous thing in your home? How can it be made less dangerous?
Slippery stairs (cầu thang trơn trượt) : stick traction strips (dải tăng độ bám) on each stairs to increase friction (ma sát) and traction (độ bám)
2. What is the most dangerous thing in your home for a child? How can it be made less dangerous?
Electricity sockets (ổ cắm điện): install an automatic circuit breaker (bộ ngắt điện tự động) so that when short circuit (chập điện) happens, electricity will be cut off.
3. What is the most dangerous thing in your home for an elderly person? How can it be made less dangerous?
The slippery (trơn trượt) bathroom floor: use rough tiles (gạch lát nhám) to prevent the slip.
4. What dangers can be found in the kitchen that can cause accidents?
Hot oven (lò nướng nóng), gas leakage, sharp knives, slippery floor
5. What can be done to prevent kitchen accidents?
Use cooking tools carefully, follow instructions of safe use for ovens, gas stoves (bếp ga), etc.
6. What can a parent do to childproof a kitchen?
Install a baby gate (rào chắn) on the door to the kitchen.
7. What can a parent do to make the kitchen safe for children?
Put sharp knives and cooking utensils (nồi niêu muỗng đũa dao kéo) beyond the reach of children (xa tầm với của trẻ)
Keep dangerous devices: stove, oven, water kettle (ấm đun nước) on a high kitchen counter.
8. What dangers can be found in bathrooms that can cause accidents? What can be done to prevent bathroom accidents?
- Slippery bathroom floor: solution as above
- Electric leakage in water heater (máy nước nóng) can cause electric shock (điện giật): ground the electrical appliance (tiếp đất cho máy) and install an automatic circuit breaker to cut the electricity of in case of short circuit. (ngắt điện khi bị đoản mạch/chập điện)
9. What can a parent do to childproof a bathroom?
Put a special lock or a baby gate on the door
10. What can a parent do to make a bathroom safe for kids?
- Put shampoo, body wash, detergent (bột giặt), and any chemical substances (hóa chất) on shelves beyond the reach of children
- Block hot water supply with a special valve (cái van) only approachable by adults
11. What dangers can be found outside the home in the yard that can cause accidents?
- Dangerous animals: snakes: clear shrubs (dọn các bụi cây)
- Sharp gardening tools: rake (cái cào), hoe (cuốc), lawn mower (máy cắt cỏ), pruning shears (kéo tỉa cây): keep gardening tools in proper place in a barn (nhà kho) or a storage room (phòng chứa đồ)
12. What can a parent do to childproof the yard?
Do not leave any tools
13. What other dangers can be found in a home in bedrooms, laundry rooms, garages, and living areas?
Sharp edges (gờ cạnh sắc bén), medicines, laundry chemicals (bleach: thuốc tẩy, fabric conditioners: nước xả vải)
14. Where at home would you put your first aid kit?(hộp cấp cứu)
What would you have in it?
15. Where are these items found in a house, why could they be dangerous, to whom could they be dangerous, and what could someone do to lessen the danger they present?
- hot pan/pot
- hot curling iron
- natural gas
- yard tools
- cellar /attic
- bad dog
- tall pieces of furniture
- swing set / playground
- very clean glass sliding door
- electronic equipment
- cleaning supplies
- lake/retention pond
- loose carpet on slippery tile floor
- glass table or sharp edged table
16. What do you need to do if…
you cut your finger preparing food?
Put some cleaning solution (dung dịch rửa): hydrogen peroxide (oxy già), iodine (cồn I ốt) on the cut and a bandage (băng keo) or gauze (gạc y tế) on it
you fall down and can not move a limb?
Stay still, call for help
your child drinks a poisonous liquid?
Consider to use syrup of ipecac (1 loại xy rô gây nôn) and take him/her to hospital right away
the toilet is flooding the bathroom?
Use a plunger to unclog the toilet (dùng cây thụt để thông…)
Call the toilet cleaning service
a pan on the stove is on fire?
Put a wet blanket on it
Throw wet stuff into it
Throw ice at it
a neighborneighbor’s dog is growling at you?
Look at him in the eye, lower your body as if you are picking up a rock to throw at him. That will scare him away.
our child falls off a chair and is bleeding?
Check the wound, wash it in clean water, stop bleeding by pressing on the wound with clean cloth or gauze. If the wound is too deep or blood is spurting (máu phun ra), press the wound constantly and bring the child to hospital.