IELTS WRITING TASK 2 ABOUT THE TOPIC OF ENVIRONMENT
Some people say that too much attention and too many resources are given in the protection of wild animals and birds. Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
The outline: Disagree (not much attention and many resources for animal protection any more)
Body para 1: Now the animal protection campaign is on a downward slope.
- Used to be on every news channels some years ago, but now hardly seen. instead Media coverage now is dedicated to other environmental messages about reducing plastic, industrial waste treatment.
- The issue not worth great attention any more, so school curriculum: not many lessons about the protection of animals.
- Any systems of sanctuaries, breeding programs, animal rescue programs have got enough conditions to run, no more call for investing more resources into them.
Body para 2: Awareness of people and businesses about animal protection is high enough, so this issue does not attract much concern anymore.
- Example: people know rhino horns: mainly keratin like nails n hair à not booming sales any more.
- Restaurants serving wild animals’ meat: not popular any more, some feel guilty when going there. –
- Fashion brands like Prada and Burberry start to phase out fur items.
The best way to resolve the international environmental problems is to increase the cost of fuel. To what extent do you agree or disagree
The outline: Disagree : although increasing fuel price does work, other measures are better.
Body para 1: Benefits of increasing fuel cost:
- Reduce car use => less emissions, ease global warming
- more economical lifestyle due to more calculation done in consumption of fuel, electricity => save resources and reduce greenhouse gas from thermal energy plants.
Body para 2 : other measures more effective:
- restrict use of private vehicles and encourage use of public transport => no backward pull to the economy due to austerity on fuel consumption.
- use alternative energy: wind power, solar power, wave power, hydro power => add more green energy to serve the world better
- educate people to raise awareness in protecting the environment in all aspects from sorting household waste to using chemicals for agriculture. Every single action counts => education can be more important than any other solutions in curbing environmental pollution.
Animal species are becoming extinct as a result of human activities on land and in sea. Why has this happened? What’s the solution?
Body para 1: reasons:
- pollution of marine habitats – plastic waste consumed by walruses, dolphins, turtles, fish => kill many of them.
- Oil spills from accidents of tankers and from oil rigs offshore contaminate water on a large scale, may destroy the whole beach with black oil.
- deforestation + poaching – rhino extinction in Vietnam
Body para 2: solutions:
- Cut down on waste, especially plastic one + develop technology to solve marine environmental calamities.
- Stricter law enforcement on animal smuggling, poaching
- breeding programmes + more wildlife reserves.
Climate change is a big environmental problem that has become critical in last couple of decades. Some people claim that humans should stop burning fossil fuels and use only alternative energy resources, such as wind and solar power. Others say that oil, gas and coal are essential for many industries, and not using them will lead to economic collapse. What is your opinion?
Body para 1: Stop burning fossil fuels altogether and replace them with alternative energy has both merits and drawbacks:
- Reduce greenhouse gases, ameliorate global warming.
- But the replacement of fossil fuels in transportation means the use of electric vehicles and biofuels. In electricity generation, the closure of thermal energy plants means the opening of solar panel fields, risk-laden nuclear power plants => expensive and even dangerous alternatives.
Body para 2: no fossil fuels shake the whole economy with damages.
- Biofuels needs vast land for cultivation, depend on weather and the maturity of the crop à unstable and limited supply => fail to meet demand of economy, hinder the manufacturing industries.
- Rarity of fuels jack up fuel prices => higher electricity bill, transportation cost, production cost => high living cost in inevitable inflation.
The planet’s population is reaching unsustainable levels, and people are facing shortage of resources like water, food and fuel. To what consequences may overpopulation lead? In your opinion, what measures can be taken to fight overpopulation?
Body para 1: Challenges that stem from overpopulation:
- Pollution: huge number of people produce enormous amount of waste
- Pollution leads to natural disasters: floods, droughts, and health problems due to toxic air, contaminated soil, water, and food.
- Depletion of natural resources to serve human excess demands
Body para 2: solutions to overpopulation:
- Governments develop policies to restrict number of children in each family. China’s one child policy keeps population under control
- Raise people awareness of consequences via education and anti-overpopulation campaigns => take more responsibility and think twice before every child is born.
- Solve the problem on regional and national scale with redistribution of population to gain balance in population density among areas.
- Production of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases has a heating effect on the atmosphere and results in global warming. Why global warming is considered one of the most serious issues nowadays? How can this problem be solved?
- Forests produce fresh oxygen and participate in regulating climate. But every year tree cover of our planet is lessening due to deforestation. What are the primary causes of deforestation? What are the consequences of it?
- Pollution of air, water and soil has become critical in last years and it takes millions of years to recoup. What are the main causes of pollution? How can we tackle this problem individually and globally?
- Water pollution has been an increasing problem over the last few decades. What causes water pollution? How can we prevent this problem?
- The air we breathe has a major impact on our health and the environment. However, the air pollution is constantly growing and at current levels it can be fought only globally. That is to say, individual efforts to improve air quality will not give any results, and it’s solely responsibility of our governments to reduce air pollution. Do you agree or disagree?
- Atomic energy is becoming more and more popular energy source. However, some people argue that nuclear power puts life on the Earth to danger. What is your opinion?
- Although many people value their public parks, this place could be better used for other purposes such as residential areas for the ever growing population or to develop business and boost economies. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this?
- The government should reduce the amount of money spent on local environmental problems and instead increase funding into urgent and more threatening issues such as global warming. To what extend do you agree?
- While some people consider global warming to be the most pressing environmental problem which we have at the moment others believe that deforestation has a more devastating impact on the world. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think an international car-free day is an effective way to reduce air pollution. Others think there are more effective ways to do this discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- With increasing populations and ever-growing urban centers many countries are losing their natural beauty spots. What benefits are there to protect these places of natural beauty? How can this be solved?
- Both governments and individuals are spending vast amounts of money protecting animals and their habitats. This money could be better spent dealing with fundamental issues in society such as poverty and health care. To what extent do you agree?
- As a result of growth in some urban centers the environment in those cities is deteriorating. How could this issue be tackled by both the government and individuals?
- Global environmental issues are the responsibility of rich nations not of poorer nations. Do you agree with this opinion?
- Restricting air travel is the only way to prevent air pollution. Do you agree?